Eating a healthy breakfast away from home can be tricky because many breakfast menus feature high fat meats like sausage or bacon,
and very high carbohydrate meals like pancakes or waffles. Make a healthy choice by combining a carb and a lean protein.
For example, order one pancake and one egg, instead of a stack of pancakes.
For a healthier breakfast, consider:
- English muffins or whole grain toast, order without butter to cut calories
- Whole-grain cereals with low fat or fat free milk
- Waffle with fresh fruit and plain yogurt instead of maple syrup and butter
- Low-fat or non-fat yogurt
- Omelettes or scrambled eggs using egg substitute or 2 egg whites
- Omelettes with vegetables and no cheese, split large portions and take some home
- Lean ham, Canadian bacon or vegetarian sausage
- Hot cereals such as oatmeal